Used Archtop Guitars
Gibson: ES-300N(Item ID: ES-300N Serial#: NNE061618)
1948 ES-300N 17" Laminated Maple Archtop Hollowbody with Natural Blonde Finish and P-90 Pickup
According to A.R. Duchossoir in his fine history, Gibson Electrics - The Classic Years, the ES-300 was first introduced in 1940 as the new flagship upper grade model in Gibson's electric line of guitars designed to replace the ES-250 which was made for only one year. And while the first generation ES-300 was produced for only two years, it shared many of the same specs as the ES-250 such as a 17" body made from carved solid spruce and solid maple. However, its special feature was a new long diagonal pickup which extended across the guitar's top from the end of the fingerboard on its bass side all the way to the treble side of the bridge! Other features that distinguished this model included L-12 style double parallelogram fingerboard inlays, larger f-holes, and a new headstock design. And though the head plates of the first samples were decorated with the 7-piece Celtic Cross motif pioneered on the L-12, the ES-300 soon after became the first Gibson model to feature what would become one of Gibson's most enduring head plate ornaments - the "Crown" inlay.
In 1946, following WWII, the ES-300 was reintroduced but with some important new features. Principally, the second generation model was now made with a laminated all maple body, and it was fitted with a new modified version of a metal covered single coil pickup which Gibson had introduced in 1940 that featured a coil with 10,000 turns of #42 wire and two M55 Alnico III magnets. However, compared to its forerunner, the new plastic covered single coil version was mounted on the body in such a way that its height was not adjustable. Rather, small flanges at each end of the bottom plate rested on the guitar's top and served as a matching point for attaching the side extensions (a.k.a. dog's ears) of the plastic cover. Thus, named as a derivative of its internal PU-90 reference, the P-90 was born, and today, more than seventy years later, the P-90 remains "The" classic Gibson single coil unit. Otherwise, some other notable evolutions that the post war ES-300 came to feature include Gibson's own trapeze tailpiece design with its distinctive raised parallelograms, the inception of the modern Gibson script on the head plate, and a 5-ply black plastic pickguard with a beveled edge.
What makes this all original 1948 Gibson ES-300N especially interesting for us is that so many of its features which were new when it was made are still in use today - that they have endured and remain a unique part of the modern Gibson culture is remarkable, but, of course, that is why they are regarded as "classic." And what makes this guitar exciting for us is that seventy years after it was made it is still such an excellent instrument. Yes, cosmetically, it has some characteristic but minor handling and playing wear to show after seven decades of use, but structurally, it is superb. As such, it performs beautifully - smooth, silky playability with a splendid resonant and mature voice that sounds just marvelous plugged in.
Features and Specs:
• Top - Laminated Maple with Two Parallel Braces and Unbound F-Holes
• Back and Sides - Laminated Maple
• Finish - Natural
• Body Dimensions - 17"(W) x 21"(L) x 3 3/8"(D)
• Binding - Triple Binding on Top and Bottom Edges
• Neck - One-Piece Mahogany
• Fingerboard - Bound Rosewood with Double Parallelogram Inlays
• Scale - 25 1/2"
• Frets - 20
• Bridge - Rosewood with Pre-Set Compensated Saddle
• Head Plate - Bound with Pearl Gibson Script and Pearl Crown Motif
• Pickup - Single Black Plastic Covered Dog-Ear P-90 in Neck Position
• Controls - Volume and Tone
• Jack Input - Rim Mounted
• Pickguard - 5-Ply Black Plastic with Beveled Edge
• Tailpiece - Trapeze with Pointed Ends and Three Raised Parallelograms
• Tuning Machines - Six Open-Back Tuners with Plastic Keystone Buttons
• All Hardware Nickel-Plated
This guitar includes an archtop hardshell case. (used)
Click below to popup a larger image